The fortress of Otranto was built by Aragonese that come from Naples, who used the projects of the Architect Ciro Ciri, with the supervision of Francesco Di Giorgio Martini, the genius of the military architecture of the Renaissance period.
It rose upon an already existing construction dating back to the period of Federico II of Borbone, and was erected in the years between 1485 and 1498.
It has a plan based on a pentagonal but irregular shape, it is provided with a moat that surrounds its whole perimeter and in olden times it had a drawbridge that was the only entrance.
Then, are visible three keeps with a cylindrical shape and a rampart that has a blow shape called "Punta di Diamante" (Diamond Point) built in 1578.
In 1647, were made further improvements thanks to consolidation works, and were restored "Torre Maestra" (Main Tower) and all the boundary walls.
Upon the entrance door the emblem of Charles V of Asburgo sticks out.
In 1897 a part of the moat was covered with soil to allow the access in the olde worlde/old district. Fortunately in the end of the following century works were ordered to obviate to this defacement.
*Cost of call from Telecom Italia fixed line: 10 cents per minute inc. VAT with no connection fee, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For calls made via other operators, the prices are given by the customer service of the operator used.
Timetable and price
January and February 10am–13pm / 15pm–17pm closed on Mondays
March 10am–13pm / 15pm–18pm closed on Mondays
April and May 10am–13pm / 15pm–19pm open daily
June 10am–13pm / 15pm–22pm open daily
July and August 10am–24pm open daily
September 10am–13pm / 15pm–22pm open daily
October 10am–13pm / 15pm–18pm closed on Mondays
November and December 10am–13pm / 15pm–17pm closed on Mondays
Last entry 30 minutes before closing.
Guided tours can be booked.
Ticket (valid for all areas apart from exhibitions and conferences)
• full € 2,00
• reduced € 1,00 (ages 6-14 and over 65, schoolchildren, disabled* and their helpers)
* Access limited to ground floor.